Annulment Attorney in Annapolis
An Alternative to Divorce in Maryland
Marriages can be legally terminated through divorce or annulment. While divorces dissolve an existing marriage, annulments cancel the union altogether. When an annulment is secured, the marriage is rendered void and is legally declared to never have existed.
If you believe your marriage could be invalid, contact an Annapolis annulment attorney at (410) 656-6227 to discuss if an annulment is right for you.
Justifiable Causes for Annulment
A marriage is considered void and is not recognized by the law in the cases of:
- Bigamy: one spouse was already married at the time of the marriage in question
- Consanguinity: the couple’s biological relation breaks incest laws
A marriage could be voidable if challenged in court if certain conditions are proved to have existed at the time of the union, such as:
- Forced consent: either party was threatened or coerced into the marriage
- Fraud: the marriage was agreed to based on lies or concealment of one spouse
- Mental illness: either member was emotionally disturbed or mentally unstable
- Mental incapacity: one or both spouses was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Underage marriage: either spouse was a minor and did not receive parental consent or court approval
- Inability to consummate marriage: one or both parties are permanently physically unable to have sexual relations
Benefits of Obtaining an Annulment
There are several benefits that arise from pursuing an annulment rather than a divorce. If you were receiving alimony from a previous marriage that ended with your remarriage, the spousal support will be restored. If you entered into a prenuptial agreement before the wedding, it will be rendered null. Lastly, there could be psychological benefits to knowing that according to the law, your marriage never legally existed.
Importance of Legal Representation
The party who files for annulment must prove to a judge that there are legal grounds for it to be granted. Securing the assistance of an Annapolis annulment lawyer can significantly increase your chances of obtaining an annulment. We want to help ensure your rights are respected throughout this process, and that you are able to move on from these proceedings to a safe and comfortable future.
Trust Patrick Crawford’s 15+ years of divorce and family law experience. Schedule your low-cost case consultation today at (410) 656-6227.